Thursday, March 27, 2008
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Saturday, March 22, 2008
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
We DO have some trail gods to thank. I really don't know who they are, but there's always evidence that folks stop and clear what they can off the trails. Rick carries a saw with him, obviously others do too - so THANK YOU! I'm trying to talk Rick into riding on Friday and if we do, we'll try to clear as many trees off the trails as we can. The majority of trees will need a trail crew and a chainsaw, but there's a couple we may be able to do ourselves. Possibly the Earth Day weekend we could clear trees with chain saw.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Saturday, March 15, 2008
I FINALLY got on the trails today and have much to report.
- Dismounted no less than 10 times to crawl over, under and around downed trees. We have work to do. Keith said he'll be "Trail Boss" now that he can't ride until his wrists heal.
- Was thinking how bumpy the trails seemed. Duh...maybe it's because it poured raining two weeks ago? And maybe the trails are really washed at spots. Yup...you will notice a much more bumpy ride. There's some serious washing at spots and rocks are exposed. Most noteable washed areas:
- Rattling Creek at the "gully" where the water is supposed to run (its one of the biggest rock gardens on Rattling Creek).
- Fawn Kill at the log pile -- there's actually standing water in there.
- Shale Run - watch for the tree on the downhill with a branch sticking deadon in front of you -- I wish i could have moved 'cause that one is dangerous if you don't see it coming and are flying down there.
- Schreffler to the turn on Dry Run. Very washed, still soggy, a tree or two will slow you down if the washing doesn't. Its not screaming fast anymore!
Will try to get out and get a pic of the space ship tomorrow. Amazingly, even with standing water in spots and several soft spots - there's no mud! I love our trails. I bagged a race today at Blue Marsh 'cause I knew after last night's rain Blue Marsh would be a quagmire of mud. I'm glad I bagged it...was a great day in the woods.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Maybe I'll run into one of you this weekend sometime - Jill
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
- Ride THROUGH the center of the puddle or mud.
- Do NOT go out around the soft section. If you do, we'll track you down using CSI methods of analyzing your tire tracks.
ps. Rick and I had planned on getting on trails on Sunday since we haven't been there since who-knows-when (October?!), but appears its won't be warm enough for Rick (high of 40). So its a wait-and-see-game.